Share | 

Trillium "Alloy"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jessica

PostSubject: Trillium "Alloy"   Tue May 07, 2013 5:29 am

Reviewed by Daniel Bear
3/17/2012

Alloy: A substance composed of two or more metals, or of a metal or metals with non-metal.

If I was to list all of Singer-Songwriter Amanda Somerville’s previous musical collaborations here I would run out of space for this review, if you haven’t heard Amanda’s name before then you have probably heard her voice on something and not realised it. Besides working with (to name just a few) Epica, Kamelot, Avantasia, Aina and HDK, She has also released an album of duets with Michael Kiske and released music under her own name such as her 2009 album “Windows”.

Amanda’s choice of the name “Alloy” for the mixture of various forms of metal and non metal that is all blended together on this album is nothing short of perfect. I have to admit I had given this album a fair few spins previously and heading into this review I felt I was going to be giving it somewhat of a mixed review. Having now spent the last few days becoming much more intimate with Alloy, I’ve been completely won over. This album is a grower and needs some patience on the part of the listener to become accustomed to everything that is going on here.

Working with Sander Gommans and Sascha Paeth, Amanda has come up with an eclectic mix of songs almost as eclectic as the mixture of influences. The stories told on this album and the lyrics used to tell them are wonderfully written and never short on emotion and feeling. I am a big admirer of Amanda’s vocals, lots of singers have amazing range and can portray emotion, but very few also have what I can only describe as personality/character in their voice, and Amanda has all the above in abundance. I can’t close off this review without also mentioning the excellent duet with Jorn Lande, which again is a real grower.

Track Listing
Machine Gun
Coward
Purge
Utter Descension
Bow To The Ego
Mistaken
Scream It
Justifiable Casualty
Path Of Least Resistance
Into The Dissonance
Slow It Down
Love Is An Illusion (Bonus Track)

The Final Word
Your patience will be well rewarded with a wonderfully diverse listening experience.

Score: 4/5

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down

Trillium "Alloy"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1