Share | 

Epica "Requiem for the Indifferent"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jessica

PostSubject: Epica "Requiem for the Indifferent"   Tue May 07, 2013 5:28 am

Reviewed by Victoria Long
3/20/2012

Epica's fifth studio album “Requiem for the Indifferent” has been out in North America for a week now but long ago took the world by storm. Once again Epica has proved to be one of the leading forces of symphonic metal and doesn't shy away from it, embarking on a European tour with a North American tour to follow sometime in the fall. This particular album happens to be, in my opinion, the most solid, focused, and best album the band has produced yet, making one wonder how they can possibly get better from here. If any band can, it is Epica.

“Requiem for the Indifferent” is a little less than an hour and twenty minutes of pure metal, harsh growls, soaring female melodies, and thunderous instrumental work, accompanied by a six-person choir and orchestra to complete the album. It opens with the prelude to the album, a 1:32 long piece titled “Karma”. The choir may be small but can really deliver with their sound, reminiscent of a very large chamber choir. The track begins with a march-like drumming, a very incredible introduction that leads right into “Monopoly on Truth”. This track is very bombastic and instantly shows the dramatic difference in Simone's dynamic range that we got a little taste of in the previous album, “Design Your Universe”. This track among many others, demonstrates Mark's passion and meaning behind every word he sings. “Storm the Sorrow” is the band's chosen single and is a perfect choice for both new and old listeners alike. The following track, the band's ballad is titled “Delirium” and is about Simone's struggle with her deep sickness some years ago. The choir opens the song, humming in harmonic unison the melody of the piece. Simone's voice is all soft and sultry, her power showing during certain parts. It is a very powerful ballad and possibly one of their best. Coen's piano work is at an all-time high when he plays through this song, adding an air mystery but solid foundation underneath everything.

Next we step into “Internal Warfare”, a bombastic piece “dedicated to the victims of Anders Breivik”. The guitar work is very fast-paced and strong, and there is an incredible duet with Delahaye and Janssen that really adds a huge punch to this song. The track after is the title song of the album, “Requiem for the Indifferent”, which is a mix of both old and new Epica sounds fused together in an absolutely breath-taking way. The arabic sounds the band enjoys using are both in the music and Simone's voice, carrying throughout the whole song. It is very similar to “Consign to Oblivion” and many songs of off “The Divine Conspiracy”, but with a more direct approach that we hear in the entirety of the new album. It is the perfect song for the title track, representing the band and the message they are delivering with this album. “Anima” is next, a song composed by Mark Jansen that is the instrumental middle piece, with a haunting melody played on the keys by Coen. It leads into “Guilty Demeanor”, a song that is very strong and sure to be a fan-favorite. The next track is already a fan-favorite, “Deep Water Horizon”. It is classic Epica, with many dynamic changes, dark growls, very strong orchestration and choir, with Simone's voice sweeping along to form an outstanding musical ride. Skipping ahead to the last track of the album, “Serenade of Self-Destruction”, Nuclear Blast accidentally released the album without the knowledge that this track was actually the instrumental version. Never fear, for they released the correct version – with vocals – via a download link. Both are excellent, however the vocals are all-too brilliant. Simone reverts to her operatic sound heard on debut album “The Phantom Agony” during the chorus, which is just beautiful. It is one of the greatest, most powerful tracks on the entire album and encompasses all that Epica has worked for. The bonus track, “Twin Flames” is also lovely and haunting, a song about love with lyrics by Mark. Simone sings it with such passion, with simple instrumental backing her voice that it is impossible not to love.

This entire album is a masterpiece and like stated previously, possibly the best Epica has released thus far. It receives a more-than-deserved 5/5 and is sure to be on repeat for the next couple years in your cd players.

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Epica "Requiem for the Indifferent"   Tue May 07, 2013 7:24 pm

I have this one. I like. A lot. I have nothing to add since you said it all. Spot on review as far as I'm concerned. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://novelhomedecor.com

PostSubject: Re: Epica "Requiem for the Indifferent"   Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:48 am

Very spot on review, I must agree. Thanks to Victoria for such a wonderful review. Epica never fails in making masterpieces.
Back to top Go down

Epica "Requiem for the Indifferent"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Winter Storm USA :: Webzine :: Reviews-
Reply to topic