Share | 

The Mariana Hollow "Velvet Black Sky"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jessica

PostSubject: The Mariana Hollow "Velvet Black Sky"   Tue May 07, 2013 5:25 am

Reviewed by Daniel Bear
4/2/2012
Grown-Up, Atmospheric, Alternative Metal.

TMH’s second album is a great follow-on from their first release Coma Heart, their debut had excellently written songs and a guitar driven atmospheric sound but was a less up-tempo affair than Velvet Black Sky. With this offering TMH move more firmly into the metal camp, the songs are generally heavier and (as mentioned) more up-tempo, but no less atmospheric. The song writing is still the bands strong point, with superbly crafted songs, but now we have a much more prominent rhythm section and more metal guitar attack.

Vocalist Rebecca ‘Spinky’ Spinks can go from melancholy to aggression in the blink of an eye, delivering the albums grown up lyrical themes with passion and feeling. Her distinctive vocals and the bands unique sound make TMH stand out from the female fronted metal pack. This is a band that is growing and I’m already excited at the thought of their next album, it will be very interesting to see just where they go from here. I would have to vote TMH as the band to watch over the next few years, I can see them pulling fans from both the alternative and metal camps and could potentially be huge.

Track Listing
Before The Dive (Intro)
Dead Reckoning*
Your Halo*
Stand Your Ground
Knife To The Throat
From Failing Hands
Second To None*
The Line Of Fire And Blood
Breathe
Weight Of The World*
The Fate Of Man
*Personal Highlights

The Final Word
Velvet Blacks Sky is a triumph for TMH and should be their stepping stone to much greater things. To say I’m impressed with this album would be an understatement.

Score: 4/5

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down

The Mariana Hollow "Velvet Black Sky"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1