Sons of Seasons "Magnisphyricon"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jessica

PostSubject: Sons of Seasons "Magnisphyricon"   Tue May 07, 2013 5:23 am

Reviewed by Daniel Bear
4/10/2012
Progressive, Symphonic, Power Metal

Sons of Seasons where founded by Oliver Palotai (probably best known as the keyboard player in Kamelot) in 2007 and recorded their debut album ‘Gods of Vermin’ in 2009, ‘Magnisphyricon’ being released in spring 2011. So this review is coming a little late, but read on and you will know why I was compelled to review it.

Sons of Seasons are drummer Daniel Schild (formerly in the band Blaze with Palotai), bassist Jurgen Steinmetz, guitarist Pepe Pierez, vocalist Henning Basse (Metalium), with Palotai supplying keyboards and guitar as well as being the songwriter. As well as bringing together elements of Progressive, Symphonic and Power Metal, Oliver manages to add jazzy piano parts and orchestra, but it’s done so effortlessly, the transitions are smooth, whether fast to slow or heavy to melodic. The music is complex and multi-layered but it’s not over complicated, or (as happens with some progressive metal bands) complicated just for the sake of it and not necessarily in-keeping with the song.

The song writing is intelligent and covers many topics from historical to political, but the brilliance of the writing is that the songs are so catchy and they stick in your head quickly, yet never grow old. Henning Basse’s vocals are stunning, delivering the necessary vocal approach to each song, the variety and range he has at his disposal is astonishing and he should be considered one of the very top male vocalists in metal music. Magnisphyricon brings you 14 tracks and just over an hour of sheer music brilliance from start to finish. The album never gets boring, the musicianship is outstanding and somehow Palotai manages to have created a sound with no boundaries, everything just fits within the Sons of Seasons musical blue print.

Track Listing
Magnisphyricon: Temperance
Bubonic Waltz*
Soul Symmetry*
Sanctuary*
Casus Belli I: Guilt's Mirror
Magnisphyricon: Adjustment
Into the Void
Nightbird's Gospel
Tales of Greed
Lilith*
Casus Belli II: Necrologue to the Unborn
Magnisphyricon: The Aeon
1413*
Yesteryears
*Personal Highlights

The Final Word
My 2011 album of the year, highly addictive listening and outstanding in every way.

Score 5/5

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sons of Seasons "Magnisphyricon"   Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:21 am

Incredible album!
Back to top Go down

Sons of Seasons "Magnisphyricon"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1