Share | 

Mortad "The Myth Of Purity"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jessica

PostSubject: Mortad "The Myth Of Purity"   Tue May 07, 2013 5:16 am

Reviews by Daniel Bear and Nevada Deem

Thrash/Death Metal

Mortad’s Iranian born vocalist and founding member Somi Arian is a fascinating subject in her own right, having struggled for her beliefs and against her strict upbringing in Iran she has plenty to draw on lyrically. Mortad is very much a vehicle for her to voice her feelings and beliefs and she does so with great passion and anger. What a difference it makes listening to music that truly is heartfelt and sung with such honesty, 'The Myth of Purity' pulls you in and does not release its grip for a moment.

The first thing that hits you when you play Myth of Purity is Szymek Lawik’s pounding drums; he and bassist Joseph Perumal form a lethal partnership on the album. Guitarist Jonathan Hughes comes up with some truly sinister riffs on Myth of Purity and Mortad’s sinister thrash doesn’t let up. I also like that the song structures are non-conventional and interesting which keeps the album from ever getting samey.

Something I’ve never felt the need to comment on before when doing a review is the opening intros and endings to the songs, some tracks get straight in there whilst others have nice little intros and songs are also ended well, (I particularly like Somi’s homage to Marilyn Manson on the beginning of ‘Mirage’Wink, such attention to detail is admirable on a debut album. The overall production by Russ Russell (Napalm Death and Dimmu Borgir amongst others) is also to be complimented.

When you look at Somi it is hard to see where she generates such powerful screams and growls from, she is a relentless talent and would be one of the top guests on my list of “celebrities you would invite to a dinner party”.

Also check out their controversial video for the single ‘The Voice’.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=acYVPjfYkrE

Track list
1. All That’s Born Must Be Destroyed*
2. Waste of My Rage*
3. The Heights
4. Mirage
5. Feels Like Suffocation
6. The Myth of Purity*
7. I’m Not Interested in Being Interesting
8. By Default
9. The Voice*
10. That Which is Humane
*Personal Highlights

The Final Word
Scintillating full-length debut from a hard working and talented band, Mortad will go far. I want more!
Score: 4/5

Band Members
Somi Arian - Vocals
Jonathan Hughes - Guitar
Joseph Perumal - Bass
Szymek Lawik – Drums

Links
http://www.mortad.net
http://www.facebook.com/mortadmetal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, while I was down in Florida I said to myself "self, you got albums you haven't reviewed, better get to it!" so what better way to start then with Mortad's The Myth Of Purity?
To start for some reason the vocals remind me of some black metal bands, the production is very good, song structures are strange (but there is nothing wrong with that!).
Allot of the songs are hit and miss, you might like them depending on who you are. The intro to the all " All That's Born Must Be Destroyed" is a solid tune, heavy and can be easily enjoyed, though the next track " Waste Of My Rage" is weaker.

The whole album is like that, some are okay some are not so great, it depends on taste. Like I said the song structures are weird so expect something different when listening. They did a great job although allot of the songs just don't speak to me.

Overall I'd say check it out, it's not one of my favorites but it certainly isn't bad by any means.

Score: 3/5

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mortad "The Myth Of Purity"   Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:41 am

Mortad is pure awesome. She has been brave to make a band and do what she does considering her culture background and family.
Back to top Go down

Mortad "The Myth Of Purity"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1