Reply to topic
Share | 

Delain "We Are the Others"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jessica

PostSubject: Delain "We Are the Others"   Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 am

Review by Victoria Long

Following up from Delain's previous album “April Rain”, “We Are the Others” is the third and most explosive, intense, and passionate release the band has produced. I am even at a loss of what to say because this album has left me absolutely speechless. The sheer power behind each of the tracks, the lyrics, the vocals, and the instrumental work, all come together in such incredible unison that there is nothing bad to say about this album. If you don't know what to expect with this album, allow me to take you through the songs and highlights, and expect yourself to be singing along with all the songs after just one listen.

“We Are the Others” opens with “Mother Machine” which right off the bat indicates the direction this album has taken. It is heavier, so much heavier than “April Rain” and is more focused on the diversity of Charlotte Wessels' vocals. The guitars instantly take control of the track and lead you into the power that is “Mother Machine”. The next song is “Electricity”, opening with beautiful piano from our dear Martijn Westerholt and the chorus had me singing along by the end. It is the most typical Delain track on this album in my opinion, but that isn't a bad thing at all. Its an awesome track and is only made greater by its simplicity.

The next track is the title song “We Are the Others”, which most know the story behind. This song is a dedication to Sophie Lancaster (and her boyfriend) who died from a beating from a gang for being an “outsider” with her goth looks. This song is undoubtedly the purest of the album and is the perfect “stand up and fight for what you believe in” anthem. This song is what Delain has worked for and they have achieved this sound so perfectly that its hard to believe this band can progress anymore, but knowing Delain they absolutely will.

“Milk and Honey” follows, a haunting atmosphere immediately enveloping your ears and being with the smooth and sultry way Charlotte sings. The guitar solo is excellent and adds an extra bit of power. The next song is “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” which is another fantastic song. “I Want You” is a personal favorite of mine, the song by the end had shocked me with the unexpected turn it took lyrics-wise but it was the shock that leaves you laughing by how crazy it is. Next is “Where Is The Blood”, which is a song done in a style reminiscent of Within Temptation's “What Have You Done”, and is a duet with Burton C. Bell. Its a very strong song and really pleasant to listen to. Following that is “Generation Me”, a fun song full of keys and soaring vocals.

The song that comes after is “Babylon”. The chorus is wicked and has an almost ambient feel to it after awhile with the keys. The following track is “Are You Done With Me”, undeniably my most favorite from the album (and from what I've read, many others feel the same way). The emotion in this song through the lyrics and Charlotte's beautiful high notes send chills down the spine. It reminds me of a song off “April Rain”, “I'll Reach You”. Next is Delain's first single off the album, “Get the Devil Outta Me” which is much too appropriate as their single. Its a representation of the full sound from this album and I couldn't imagine a better way to introduce news fans and old to Delain. The album closes with “Not Enough”, which is a very powerful end to the album.

Altogether the album deserves a solid 5/5. Fans of Delain will be ecstatic over the pure sound that Delain produces. Don't forget to purchase the album to support Delain and get this album out there!

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Delain "We Are the Others"   Tue May 07, 2013 7:29 pm

I haven't listened to this one as often as I should probably. Like very much and I'm glad the CD is in my music library.

PostSubject: Re: Delain "We Are the Others"   Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:45 am

Don't feel bad beekay I am the same. It isn't bad though.
Back to top Go down
AnneLumi

PostSubject: Re: Delain "We Are the Others"   Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:51 am

I love the song 'We are the others'. Maybe the album sounds more poppy than other albums, but I love it.

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/littlelies_wot
Simona Mihalca

PostSubject: Re: Delain "We Are the Others"   Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:08 pm

What I like most about Delain is that their songs give me a sense of feel-good... while most Nightwish songs are depressive in their true core
Back to top Go down
Morrigan

PostSubject: Re: Delain "We Are the Others"   Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:16 am

nice review!! I always listen to Delain if I feel happy because their music is very cheerful Smile
Back to top Go down

Delain "We Are the Others"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Winter Storm USA :: Webzine :: Reviews-
Reply to topic