Reply to topic
Share | 

Tarja's "The Shadow Self" Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jessica

PostSubject: Tarja's "The Shadow Self" Review   Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:16 pm

Reviewed by Jessica Clingempeel

With each album we can see Tarja maturing and getting better. She has proven once again that she does not need Nightwish to succeed in the metal genre. Time and time again, we have seen comments from the worshipers of Nightwish saying Tarja is nothing without the band, but I am sure The Shadow Self is going to shut quite a few of those haters up. This has got to be Tarja’s greatest yet! For those of you who have fallen in love with The Brightest Void, prepare yourselves for an even greater experience because that was just a warm-up for the epic show to come.

I do not want to give too much away so I will highlight just a few of my favourite songs. A more detailed track by track review will be written later, after the release.

The album starts off with the song “Innocence”. I am not going to say too much about this song as you can read my review of the song on the site. It is definitely a great starter to what is to come on this album. Please read my other review for more details to this song. Tarja has chosen a good one for the next single and video.

“Demons in You”, features Alissa White-Gluz. It was a song to get used to as it is much different from what Tarja normally does, but it fits. She is known for her variety and experimentation with music, after all. Alissa gives us her growl voice along with clean vocals. She has a very beautiful voice and I am glad it is shown in this song. I hope for more collaborations between these two in the future.

Scared to lose the fight 
with what’s in me. 
Found another side, 
the darkest thoughts, 
the deepest sea 
where sun and moon arise. 
It's me. 

“Supremacy”, which is a song by Muse, is probably the biggest track of the entire album. It is one of the best cover songs Tarja has done so far. You can hear her perform this, already, in many live videos found on YouTube. The high notes Tarja hit on this song will make your jaw drop and hit the floor. Job well done Tarja. It is superb!

You don't have long
I am on to you
The time, it has come to destroy

“Living End” is breathtakingly beautiful. I find this song constantly on repeat some days. The lyrics are amazing, the music is relaxing, and Tarja’s vocals are flawless.

Here with you now
lights in the air
devoted.
No yesterday
dying to live 
this moment.
Growing stronger,
taking over.

“Diva” is going to be a fun one to read comments about and see the different interpretations people come up with. I just love this song from beginning to end. My ears melt at the trills Tarja uses in the song and the beginning seems like something we would hear in a Tim Burton musical and/or film. Would that be a good comparison? Maybe he will use it. Wink

I've been tasting the salt 
Couldn't stand all the rats on board 
I walked down the plank as the curtains fell down 
on you 

“Too Many” is about 13 minutes long. Without going into ‘too many’ details, just know that there is a wild surprise at the end. Wink

Just a canvas in the sky,  
perfect sunset long denied.  
Spirit's flying. 
Birds that cease their wanderlust fall.

All in all, there are no complaints, once again. What else do we get in this album? Bagpipes, guest vocals, a different side of Tarja. It is definitely darker and heavier. No one is going to be disappointed in The Shadow Self. How will Tarja do with the future album? I have no doubt in my mind she will only grow more in future releases and keep putting the haters to shame and proving that she can do this without that band that shall remain nameless.

Overall Rating: 5/5

*Signature made by me*

Last edited by Jessica on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jessica

PostSubject: Re: Tarja's "The Shadow Self" Review   Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:34 pm

I did not want to give too much about the album away before the release. Please wait for the release to get a more thorough review on each song after the release. This review just gives you a taste of what is to come. Smile

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down
stevo

PostSubject: Re: Tarja's "The Shadow Self" Review   Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:06 pm

I listened to Demons in You from a concert in Finland on youtube, I really liked the opening guitar/bass riff.
Back to top Go down
lightandwaves

PostSubject: Re: Tarja's "The Shadow Self" Review   Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:07 pm

I was sold as soon as I read bagpipes! Hahaha. Wow, reading this makes me want to have the album in my hands right now. Can't wait. And super excited about a 13 minute song. The long ones always seem to be my favorites. Curious about the surprise too Smile
Back to top Go down

Tarja's "The Shadow Self" Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1