Review for Lacuna Coil "Delirium"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
whatliesbeneath77
Reviewer

PostSubject: Review for Lacuna Coil "Delirium"   Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:13 am

Reviewed by Joshua Becker
4/25/2016

Following the dark "Broken Crown Halo" Lacuna Coil is back with an even darker and more rich sound than ever before.

We start off with "House of Shame."  This particular song starts with an ethereal-type sound very new-age-y, and then we get into really heavy beats and guitar riffs and Andrea growling. This was a very interesting song to listen to- almost haunting to me, especially when Cristina starts to sing with a voice that sounds like she is haunted or scared.
The overall tone of this song is very dark, almost like they (the band) is so angered at someone or something they seem to be ready to attack.

Towards the end of the song, the last words we hear from Andrea are "Take my Soul." I have to speculate that what he meant by this is that whatever hey are fighting, he is prepared to surrender to because he is done fighting, or has lost the will to fight.

At the very end of the song, Andrea says 
"Rise!
Read my words!
Run!
Mark my words!" suggesting that he has the will to fight back.

Following the release of House of Shame, a few weeks later, Lacuna Coil released the track "Delirium."
Listeners of Delirium are greeted with a familiar song of the older sound of Lacuna Coil. The first word listeners hear is Cristina saying "Delirium" numerous times. 

If you were to look up the word delirium in the dictionary, it says: "an acutely disturbed state of mind that occurs in fever, intoxication, and other disorders and is characterized by restlessness, illusions, and incoherence of thought and speech." It suggests to me that the band may be going through, or have gone through a situation that seemed unreal, or a situation they cannot accept as the truth.

I feel the album will welcome old fans as well as new ones. The dynamic of the album has changed so much compared to the older ones that there is a surprise waiting for all listeners.

"Delirium" officially releases May 27th of this year, 2016.
"I'm bedridden here locked outside of my faith
Incurable captured by time
You're the reason I'm feeling so deranged
I will stay here and haunt you forever"

Overall Rating: 5/5
Back to top Go down
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Review for Lacuna Coil "Delirium"   Sat May 07, 2016 7:28 am

Lacuna Coil meets Tristania? Now I like the 'Beauty & The Beast' vocal style pioneered (ie. every song on the album featured them for the first time) by Liv Kristine Espanaes and Raymond I. Rohonyi of Theatre of Tragedy. Afterall, I have  albums from Theatre of Tragedy, Leaves' Eyes, Sirenia, Tristania, and Epica to name a few. What interested me most about Lacuna Coil was that Andrea's clean vocals had enough of an edge to them to be a counterpoint to Christina's without having to growl overly much. It isn't like Andrea will be confused with Roy Khan, or Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson in their prime but Metal has always worked with singers who are rough around the edges.

I've heard it said that Lacuna Coil needed to introduce change. Given that I found "Broken Crown Halo" disappointing (ie. after numerous listens not a single song reached out and grabbed me...they all just ran together in their sameness and without the track list I wasn't sure which one I was listening to at times) I'd have to agree with that sentiment. Given the departure of two members (Cristiano 'Pizza' Migliore--guitars and Cristiano 'CriZ' Mozzati--drums) after the release of BCH and the departure of Marco 'Maus' Biazzi in 2015, it has been a perfect opportunity to introduce new fresh ideas.

If this video represents the extent of their 'fresh' ideas for the whole album then I think I'll be passing on this one.

I'd grudgingly give it a 2.5/5

Last edited by beekay on Sun May 08, 2016 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://novelhomedecor.com
Jessica

PostSubject: Re: Review for Lacuna Coil "Delirium"   Sun May 08, 2016 12:19 am

I got bored with Lacuna Coil over the years as every album they released sounded like the previous record. This change is a bit better, I for one love the growling vocals. I have never liked Andrea's voice, never thought he could sing. Cristina's voice is good, but that is as far as it goes. She keeps the same tone through many songs and doesn't give the listener is variety. In "Delirium" it seems she is trying to hit high notes, and she is good at it, but at the same time, you can tell she doesn't have much range. 

This is why I am a big fan of Tarja and Epica, Simone and Tarja both have more colors to their voice. They can hit high and low notes. They give us a variety. Lacuna Coil is one dimension usually. So far, as I said, I like Delirium to a degree. It seems different, finally. Am I a huge fan? No. We will see how the rest of the album plays out.

Overall Rating: 3.5/5

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down
stevo

PostSubject: Re: Review for Lacuna Coil "Delirium"   Sun May 08, 2016 12:26 am

Do you think Dark Adrenaline is a better cd than Delirium or BCH?
Back to top Go down
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Review for Lacuna Coil "Delirium"   Sun May 08, 2016 5:56 am

Dark Adrenaline was the first LC album I bought. There were songs on it that just reached out and grabbed me from the start. "Trip The Darkness", "Kill The Light", "Give Me Something More" and their cover of REM's "Loosing My Religion" to name a few off the top of my head. I can't remember a single song title from BCH in the same way. I haven't heard Delirium since it is still unreleased. So DA is it for me. I'd rate Karmacode and Unleashed Memories far higher than BCH as well. One of these days I'll get Comelies, too.

PostSubject: Re: Review for Lacuna Coil "Delirium"   Sun May 08, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks a lot, Karmacode and Comalies sre my two favorite LC cds. I am going to check out BCH.
Back to top Go down

Review for Lacuna Coil "Delirium"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1