HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Reply to topic
Share | 

"The Shadow Self" (New Album Details)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jessica

Post"The Shadow Self" (New Album Details)

earMUSIC and Tarja are very proud to announce the release of her new heavy rock album “The Shadow Self”. Over the last couple of weeks, the most successful Finnish solo artist has been teasing her fans on various occasions, revealing bits and pieces of the new studio album. 

Finally, the highly anticipated news and the cover artwork are officially revealed: “The Shadow Self” will be released on August 5th, 2016 on earMUSIC.

“I am very excited to finally be able to share the first details of my new heavy rock album with all of you,” says Tarja. “‘The Shadow Self’ is full of songs that are very dear to me. I cannot wait for you to hear the record that I believe is one of my heaviest albums to date. Keep your eyes open as there will be many surprises along the way to the album release on August 5th. I really mean it. Surprises will follow very soon”

With the release of her fourth rock album, the versatile singer is following up on the success of the multi-platinum and gold awarded previous records “My Winter Storm” (2007), “What Lies Beneath” (2010) and her most recent album “Colours In The Dark” (2013) which charted all over the globe including 4 Top 10 entries.

“The Shadow Self” is now available for pre-order in various formats, including CD Standard, Special Edition CD+DVD at amazon.de and iTunes.

Tarja will perform songs from her upcoming album for the first time on festival dates this summer. All dates can be found on Tarja’s official webpage: 
http://www.tarjaturunen.com/en/category/concerts/

-Guests that participated in the album-

"CLICK TO REVEAL":

-Excerpts from different songs from the album-

"CLICK TO REVEAL":

"No Bitter End" snippet

*Signature made by me*

Last edited by Jessica on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:25 pm; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down

Similar topics

-
» New Third Day album coming Oct. 19
» Darkwater - New Album Update
» Fades Away - New Album!!
» New Tourniquet Album Update!!
» Weirdest album cover contest
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

"The Shadow Self" (New Album Details) :: Comments

Re: "The Shadow Self" (New Album Details)
Post on Tue May 10, 2016 2:52 am by Stefan2k4
I tend to subscribe more to the Freudian philosophy that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Maybe the Shadow self Tarja is referring to is her past career with her former band and how in the minds of some fans that tends to "overshadow" her current career. I think she would like to break free from this image of being the former nightwish vocalist and become more well known for her own music. If you look at the image that's  been said to be the album cover you see a smaller image of Tarja inside the larger shadow image of herself and she has her hands positioned as if pushing outward against the shadow image. That could be symbolic to mean that this album will be the album she "breaks free" from the past career with her former band that has "overshadowed" her solo career in the minds of some fans.

Some fans have constantly compared her music to that of her former bands and in some cases expected it to be a continuation of the same style. That's a mistake, because the music she makes now is her music and not what someone forces her to sing.  Many of those fans can't see the beauty of her music because they're expecting it to be a continuation of her former bands music. Maybe this is a message to those fans that this is Tarja and not nightwish 2.0.
Re: "The Shadow Self" (New Album Details)
Post on Tue May 10, 2016 7:00 pm by beekay
@Stefan2k4 wrote:
I tend to subscribe more to the Freudian philosophy that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Maybe the Shadow self Tarja is referring to is her past career with her former band and how in the minds of some fans that tends to "overshadow" her current career. I think she would like to break free from this image of being the former nightwish vocalist and become more well known for her own music. If you look at the image that's  been said to be the album cover you see a smaller image of Tarja inside the larger shadow image of herself and she has her hands positioned as if pushing outward against the shadow image. That could be symbolic to mean that this album will be the album she "breaks free" from the past career with her former band that has "overshadowed" her solo career in the minds of some fans.

Some fans have constantly compared her music to that of her former bands and in some cases expected it to be a continuation of the same style. That's a mistake, because the music she makes now is her music and not what someone forces her to sing.  Many of those fans can't see the beauty of her music because they're expecting it to be a continuation of her former bands music. Maybe this is a message to those fans that this is Tarja and not nightwish 2.0.

Your analysis has a great deal of merit. There is little doubt that some people and the industry's media have a hard time letting go of the past. Closing in on 11 years removed from her first band and still article titles still have "(former Nightwish)" or some such beside her name, for example. For people to bitch that she isn't Nightwish says more about them than it does Tarja: that they are obtuse; either on purpose or by accident; but obtuse nevertheless. Most are simply trying to stir up trouble with the fan base and have revealed themselves as trolls who really are beneath our notice. If the only criticism they are able to come up with is to point out what Tarja's music isn't without a reference to what it is means that Tarja has been on the right track in creating something unique to her. After all, if Tarja had been trying to recreate the Nightwish of her era in her solo career, the same 'critics' would complain that she is unoriginal etc. It wouldn't surprise me if Tarja isn't addressing this desire to be free of such stupidity at some level. It has been obvious from the start of her solo career that Tarja was now being directed by her inner musical voice.

I stated in my review of My Winter Storm: "MWS is a departure from her past. To compare the music she made with the Symphonic Power Metal band Nightwish with Tarja's solo musical vision on MWS is to compare apples and oranges. If you are looking for a Nightwish imitation or parody you'll be disappointed....Over her entire career, Tarja Turunen has been at the forefront of innovation and reinvention of the Metal genre in general and the fusion of Metal/Classical sub-genre in particular. My Winter Storm represents the dawning of new era of innovation and the establishment of a new set of boundaries between the worlds of Classical and Rock/Metal courtesy of Tarja Turunen."

http://www.winterstormusa.com/t27-tarja-s-my-winter-storm

Or with my take on What Lies Beneath: "With the hollow shell of the parody that is her old turf fading quickly in the rear view mirror, What Lies Beneath continues Tarja's journey in the exploration of her eclectic fusion of classical, rock and metal music that was begun on My Winter Storm. What Lies Beneath makes it perfectly clear that she is carving out and defining her own particular niche in the symphonic rock/metal scene. Tarja has pushed the boundaries out a little further forcing her countless imitators to play catch up once again. There is only one Tarja Turunen in this world and she proves it once again here.....This increasing creative freedom has resulted in a mature, sincere, confident and enthusiastic album. Listeners of the album will be able to sense this creative awakening in the way one can observe the process of a blooming rose."

http://www.winterstormusa.com/t24-tarja-s-what-lies-beneath

Again with Colours in The Dark: "Tarja Turunen has been on the cutting edge of musical innovation from the day she agreed to join a certain ‘mood music project’ at the end of 1996. Colours in The Dark for sound, arrangement, and message proclaims to the world that this continues. Colours in The Dark have pushed back the limits of Tarja’s musical vision of the fusion of classical and rock/metal music. It is symbolic of Tarja’s freedom from the restrictive formula or ritual of the past and reflects her growing confidence in herself and her music."

http://www.winterstormusa.com/t342-review-of-tarja-s-colours-in-the-dark

As for what I expect (I guess I do have some expectations after all) from The Brightest Void appetizer and The Shadow Self main course is more of the above: innovation, growth, refinement, surprise and maturity. In a word: Tarja.

"The Shadow Self" (New Album Details)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Winter Storm USA :: Discussions :: News-
Reply to topicJump to: