HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Reply to topic
Share | 

"The Shadow Self" (New Album Details)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jessica

Post"The Shadow Self" (New Album Details)

earMUSIC and Tarja are very proud to announce the release of her new heavy rock album “The Shadow Self”. Over the last couple of weeks, the most successful Finnish solo artist has been teasing her fans on various occasions, revealing bits and pieces of the new studio album. 

Finally, the highly anticipated news and the cover artwork are officially revealed: “The Shadow Self” will be released on August 5th, 2016 on earMUSIC.

“I am very excited to finally be able to share the first details of my new heavy rock album with all of you,” says Tarja. “‘The Shadow Self’ is full of songs that are very dear to me. I cannot wait for you to hear the record that I believe is one of my heaviest albums to date. Keep your eyes open as there will be many surprises along the way to the album release on August 5th. I really mean it. Surprises will follow very soon”

With the release of her fourth rock album, the versatile singer is following up on the success of the multi-platinum and gold awarded previous records “My Winter Storm” (2007), “What Lies Beneath” (2010) and her most recent album “Colours In The Dark” (2013) which charted all over the globe including 4 Top 10 entries.

“The Shadow Self” is now available for pre-order in various formats, including CD Standard, Special Edition CD+DVD at amazon.de and iTunes.

Tarja will perform songs from her upcoming album for the first time on festival dates this summer. All dates can be found on Tarja’s official webpage: 
http://www.tarjaturunen.com/en/category/concerts/

-Guests that participated in the album-

"CLICK TO REVEAL":

-Excerpts from different songs from the album-

"CLICK TO REVEAL":

"No Bitter End" snippet

*Signature made by me*

Last edited by Jessica on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:25 pm; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down

Similar topics

-
» New Third Day album coming Oct. 19
» Darkwater - New Album Update
» Fades Away - New Album!!
» New Tourniquet Album Update!!
» Weirdest album cover contest
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

"The Shadow Self" (New Album Details) :: Comments

Re: "The Shadow Self" (New Album Details)
Post on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:17 pm by Veivos
I posted elsewhere about this, wondering if maybe the title was inspired by Carl Jung's theory about the shadow self. Kinda goes along somewhat with the whole idea of the dual aspect of humanity, light and dark; anima and aniumus, and all that jazz. Or the old idea of the doppelganger as the double we all share, encompassing our darker natures. In any case...I would be curious to see this expressed both melodically and lyrically.
Post on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:29 am by Jessica
I am also curious. She said this will be her heaviest album yet. Also, she always leaves the interpretations up to her fans so who knows, you could be right about the title. Smile
Post on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:11 am by beekay
We'll interpret it for ourselves. What meaning we get from the songs and the lyrics will be personal. None will be wrong but merely different. The songs will have a particular meaning for Tarja obviously. And for us.
Post on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:20 pm by stevo
It will be interesting to see if there is less ballads on this CD,but that doesn"t mean I want there to be less ballads.
Post on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:09 pm by Veivos
Of course art is meant to be interpreted or perceived differently according to each person. But "The Shadow Self" literally comes right straight from the works of Carl Jung...like the exact words. So I would just assume that there must be some kind of connection with it. As a poet, I know that my inspiration often comes from other sources, despite the fact that it has a unique and original message for me...and for whoever reads it. Or for source...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evil-deeds/201204/essential-secrets-psychotherapy-what-is-the-shadow
Post on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:56 pm by Jessica
She will also have guests on this album, including a duet. She mentioned one guest being a female vocalist. I wonder who. Wink Another cover will be on here as well. Maybe another by Peter Gabriel?
Post on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:09 pm by EuphoricThunder
There's also a book called the shadow self

http://www.amazon.de/Shadow-Self-Paula-Marais/dp/0798165456/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458515344&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=the+shadow+self+tarja

From the link above in someone's prev post of psychology,I like this part of it

Quote :
"Working with dream material (see my prior post) is key to comprehending and dealing creatively with the shadow. The shadow tends to appear in dreams as a figure of the same sex as the dreamer, but Jung draws a distinction between the personal shadow and the anima oranimus (see my prior post), symbolized in dreams as the opposite sex. Typically, it is the subjective experience of the shadow or evil and its ego-dystonic effects (or, as in the case of the hypercivilized Dr. Jekyll, an inexplicable malaise or vague sense that something vital is missing in us) which motivates the person to seek psychotherapy and spurs one toward new growth, maturation, balance, integration, wholeness andindividuation. Indeed, in many ways we need the shadow, and must therefore learn to develop a more conscious and constructive relationship to it. Becoming conscious of the shadow requires tolerating the inherent tension of opposites within: sometimes ‘‘having it out’’ with the shadow and standing up to its destructive influence; other times permitting it some measured outward expression in the personality. But always treating it with utmost respect.

Notwithstanding its negative influence, Jung well understood the daimonic nature of the unconscious, and that the compensatory effects of the shadow upon individuals, couples, groups and nations could be beneficial as well: ‘‘If it has been believed hitherto that the human shadow was the source of all evil, it can now be ascertained on closer investigation that the unconscious man, that is, his shadow, does not consist only of morally reprehensible tendencies, but also displays a number of good qualities, such as normal instincts, appropriate reactions, realistic insights, creative impulses, etc’’ (cited in Diamond, p. 96). Creativity can spring from the constructive expression or integration of the shadow, as can true spirituality. Authentic spirituality requires consciously accepting and relating properly to the shadow as opposed to repressing, projecting, acting out and remaining naively unconscious of its repudiated, denied, disavowed contents, a sort of precarious pseudospirituality. ‘‘Bringing the shadow to consciousness,’’ writes another of Jung’s followers, Liliane Frey-Rohn (1967), ‘‘is a psychological problem of the highest-moral significance. It demands that the individual hold himself accountable not only for what happens to him, but also for what he projects. . . Without the conscious inclusion of the shadow in daily life there cannot be a positive relationship to other people, or to the creative sources in the soul; there cannot be an individual relationship to the Divine’’ (cited in Diamond, p. 109)."
Post on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:01 pm by Veivos
I think this new album will be more than just something "dark" and "heavy." I think it will have a certain depth to it, like it will explore deep seated emotions. Esoteric, even. We will see I suppose.
Post on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:00 pm by stevo
I think the cover song might be Goldfinger from the James Bond movie. She performed that song several months ago.
Post on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:12 am by EuphoricThunder
It makes me think back towards WLB,there was some shadow effect there,the stripes coverin the face,shadows coverin the "wounds" on her face also.
Post on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:49 pm by beekay
My expectations are zero. I'll judge the music and lyrics when I hear and read them as a whole. I will wait patiently to see what Tarja serves up and then I will consume it. Then I will judge it on its own merits (as opposed to what I expected it to be or what I want it to be) and that interpretation will be wholly my own. The goal of any artist is to provoke an emotional/interpretive reaction in the observer. If they are able to do this then they have succeeded. It is irrelevant if the interpretation is different from that of the artist.

Only Tarja knows her inspiration for the title. Someday she may reveal it. It would be interesting to find out but I'm not going to lose sleep over it if she doesn't. She is right in that it should mean something to each of us on a personal level. The title will mean many things to different people for various reasons.

I noticed the book of the same title by Paula Marais during my searches on the various Amazons. For the blurb quoted above I have this to comment:
In other words, human beings have a dual nature. Our duality encompasses many levels of or existance: a material and a spiritual side; light and shadow within our material makeup; conscious vs. subconscious; positive and negative (not good and bad but rather like a magnet's) polarities in our spiritual nature etc. etc. It is impossible to have darkness without light etc. Each individual needs to take responsibility for themselves by finding the balance between all our dual natures. These are concepts that mystics have understood and taught to their initiates for millenia.

Has anybody read Paulo Coelho? I haven't. Tarja has stated numerous times that she is very much influenced by this international author. After reading some summaries of some of his novels his works deal with the nature of good and evil. Perhaps he is a more likely immediate source for the concept of 'The Shadow Self'. For those who have read him do you know where his ideas are generated from apart from his own experience? Maybe he was influenced by Jung or mysticism. Or something else entirely.

A duet? With Sharon perhaps?
Tarja and Doro performed two duets...one for Doro's album "Fear No Evil" and one for Tarja's "The Seer"

The artwork for WLB showed blemishes on the outside not necessarily reflecting what lay beneath in some cases. This title seems to imply the reverse....

Last edited by beekay on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Post on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:49 pm by EuphoricThunder
Interesting,I too wondere if Paulo or some some author,may have inspired her for the title,maybe even the rest of the album.

I also find this a bit interesting.

Post on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:26 pm by beekay
"Know thyself and thou shall know all the mysteries of the gods and of the universe" -- inscription on the Greek Temple at Delphi

"Man know thyself; then thou shalt know the Universe and God.” ―Pythagoras

"Knowing your own darknesses is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people" -- Jung

There seems to be a common theme here.....
Post on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:46 pm by EuphoricThunder
Yes,it seems.

My Winter Storm IS What Lies Beneath WITH Colours in the Dark OF The Shadow Self  LOL haha just a bit of word play Razz
Post on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:02 pm by EuphoricThunder
@beekay wrote:
"Know thyself and thou shall know all the mysteries of the gods and of the universe" -- inscription on the Greek Temple at Delphi

"Man know thyself; then thou shalt know the Universe and God.” ―Pythagoras

"Knowing your own darknesses is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people" -- Jung

There seems to be a common theme here.....

Another
Quote :
"To confront a person with his shadow is to show him his own light. Once one has experienced a few times what it is like to stand judgingly between the opposites, one begins to understand what is meant by the self. Anyone who perceives his shadow and his light simultaneously sees himself from two sides and thus gets in the middle”. - Carl Jung
Post on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:44 pm by Jessica
I have added the lyrics to the original post that she has shared so far.
Post on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:35 pm by EuphoricThunder
It also makes me think of the Left in the Dark cover comp that fans did,and the particular cover that was chosen.

Post on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:08 pm by Jessica
Added the snippet for "No Bitter End" to original post. Smile
Post on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:54 am by beekay
I guess no one has read Paulo Coelho.
Post on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:53 pm by Jessica
I have. I own "The Alchemist".
Post on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:01 pm by beekay
@Jessica wrote:
I have. I own "The Alchemist".

Does its subject matter or theme shed any light (pun intended...lol) on the choice of Tarja's latest album title?
Post on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:04 pm by beekay
Given the guest line up of who worked on the album, she has done another duet with Sharon and Within Temptation. Alissa White-Gluz of Arch Enemy is a pleasant surprise. Liked her and the band's War Eternal album. Looks like Tarja is back to her metal roots with this one. Look forward to it.

See the line up here:

http://tarja-theshadowself.com/#
Post on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:16 pm by Jessica
I have no idea. It has been a few years since I have read it and would have to go back and re-read and also hear the new album to give an answer. You should read the book for yourself as it was a good one. Smile

Adding guests to original post now.
Post on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:00 pm by EuphoricThunder
Interesting,here are two more links that may sum up what inspired Tarja to make this album and the title for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_(psychology)

http://lonerwolf.com/shadow-self/

"The Shadow Self" (New Album Details)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Winter Storm USA :: Discussions :: News-
Reply to topicJump to: