Share | 

If Man Is Five

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jessica

PostSubject: If Man Is Five   Tue May 07, 2013 4:37 am

Interviewed by Jessica Clingempeel
Official Facebook

To start this interview off tell me how the band got together...

Brianna: I met Angela at a Punk Rock show while she was still in High School. I was playing guitar that night with my band Plotting Revenge and she was playing guitar that night in her band the Surgeon Generals. I was amazed by her because she was playing with only one hand so I decided to break my shy streak and strike up a conversation with her.

Angela: It was my first band ever, so it was nice to have someone in the scene talking to me. I remember specifically sitting on a couch just making small talk about music and what not. At the young age of 15 it felt great to feel accepted into a scene that was very new to me. I remember we hit it off right away. Later, we met up in the music program at Broome Community College. That’s when she approached me about working together.

Who came up with the name If Man is Five and how did the name come about?

Angela: The Pixies came up with it. It’s a lyric from their song Monkey Gone to Heaven. Brianna sort of had a tradition of being in bands with names related to the Pixies.

There seems to be a mixtures of sounds and genres in your music, is this something you wanted or did you just experiment with music and like it?

Brianna: The mixtures of genres is done on purpose in a way. My tastes range from Beethoven to Hatebreed. Angela and I made it a point to always experiment with the beauty and brutality of music, we also wanted the music to have a lot of dynamics and sound original.

Angela: Brianna and I are both classically trained musicians. So it was only a matter of time until that influence worked its way into our style. I’m a huge fan of contrast, so leaping back and forth between opera, classical guitar with double bass and distortion makes for interesting composition in my mind.

Tell me a bit about your music video, Post Cranial Debris, and how long did it take to film?

Angela: The concept of the video was based on a short story called The Lottery. We shot that video over the course of two days. The extras we filmed on the first day and then did all the band shots the next.

Brianna: The Post Cranial Debris video was a race against the sun setting and a huge lightening storm on the first night…that made for a challenging first day. We were able to save the cameras from being ruined by the rain but all of the extras got soaked. The extras were all good sports about it. On the second day we had to deal with a last minuet location change half way through shooting the band shots after a run in with the Police, who were nice enough to not arrest us but made us leave the location where we were filming.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where were you 10 years ago?

Angela: I’d love to say ten years from now, I’d be at a place in my life where music consumes my life and its my full time job. Ten years ago I never dreamed we’d get as far as we have. I’m very grateful.

Brianna: I agree with Angela about where I want to be in 10 years. As far as where I was 10 years ago, I was in High School playing bass guitar in my first serious band. That band was the stepping stone for me to start gaining experience playing out and writing music.

How has your life changed since doing your music?

Brianna: All of a sudden we are not perceived as the unpopular, orchestra geek, band geek, or choir geek. Somehow through this band people think we are cool, but really we are still the same shy nerdy people we were in High School. It is flattering when people recognize us on the street and say, “hey aren't you guys in If Man Is Five, I love your music.” It is great to know that you are connecting with people, in the same way that the bands you grew up listening to connected with you.

Did you always see yourself doing music or was there something else you wanted to do instead?

Angela: Music was always a passion for me. I always knew I wanted to perform. I just wasn't sure in what way. I dabbled in musicals and choral music for years but there is nothing as rewarding as being in an original band where you create the music you’re performing.

Brianna: I played violin since I was 9 but I did not know that I wanted music to be my life until I was in my teens. My mother actually told me that when I was younger I wanted to be a mortician.

Any new stuff coming soon?

Angela: We have a new album on the horizon. It’s exciting and pretty different from our older works. We are planning for a release date of Jan 13,2009 so keep your eyes and ears open for it.

Brianna: We just shot a video for our song Hemorrhage that was on both our albums Azraela and Blood is the Ink. The song is a fan favorite so we decided to go back and shot a video for it even though we already had made one for Post Cranial Debris. The video should be available on Youtube for everyone to see in July of 08.

When it comes to writing do you all contribute lyrics? Does it come from life experiences or does it just come to you?

Angela: By and large I write the lyrics but there are songs where Brianna took a bit more of the reigns. Our lyrics are almost always very personal and drawn from life experiences. I think it helps relate ability as people are always going through tough times and it helps to know other people have been there and survived it.

What do you hope for the listeners to gain when they hear your music?

Angela: I hope that they can find some personal meaning in our songs. Its great to write a catchy tune but it doesn't move people. They aren't affected. I hope people can find something different in our songs every time they hear them.

Brianna: I hope that our music continues to connect with listeners and that it inspires young girls to pick up instruments and follow their musical dreams.

Who did you listen to growing up and did they influence you to play music?

Angela: Strangely enough I grew up mostly on the Beatles, who greatly influenced my sense of harmony. As an adult I got into weirder stuff like Mike Patton’s various projects and Tom Waits.

Brianna: I grew up listening to Neil Young, Metallica, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, L7, Bikini Kill and Veruca Salt. They all played an influence on me musically, but mostly they inspired me to play in bands.

What kind of music do you enjoy?

Angela: Honestly almost all kinds of music. I’m not a big fan of rap or country but there are even exceptions there with Johnny Cash and Salt N Peppa. I've always been mostly interested in stranger music, experimenting just outside of the norm.

Brianna: I like anything that is good. I love listening to female fronted bands. Lately I have been listening to a lot of Epica, and Eyes Set to Kill.

Tell me a bit about your fashion style? Is it different everyday?

Angela: Definitely. My mood always influences what I wear. I do a lot of shopping at thrift stores and looking for more retro styles.

Brianna: I like to wear cloths that are comfortable and make me feel sexy, for example a cut up band t-shirt, a pair of jeans and some kicks make up my daily style. I am not really one for skirts or dresses, they are uncomfortable for me to wear because I do not like to sit like a lady. *laughs*

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down

If Man Is Five
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Winter Storm USA :: Webzine :: Interviews-
Reply to topic