Reply to topic
Share | 

Tarja's 'What Lies Beneath'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jessica

PostSubject: Tarja's 'What Lies Beneath'   Mon May 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Reviewed by Jessica Clingempeel

What Lies Beneath, the second solo album by Tarja, which came out summer 2010, and as promised, the album is a much heavier album, and in typical Tarja fashion, you get a few other songs that are slow and show the depth of her musical experience. That is what I feel is the strength of this album and has been a theme to offer her fans a wide variety of styles. We each have our own taste in music and an album like this may have a few songs that are not your favorites but it can also expose you to a new style of music that you didn't know you liked. One would think trying to mix so many styles and instruments into one album could cause things to get meshed together and confusing. However, “What Lies Beneath” brings it all together in one harmonious package.

We all know that Tarja use to sing for Nightwish and I think trying to find your own sound in a solo career can be very difficult. The vocals have become more unique and I think she is finding her own sound that says,"Hey! This is Tarja." The guys in Nightwish should feel like idiots for letting her go. Oh I should not have said that. Oh well. The heavy aspect of the album will definately have all the metal heads banging their heads, while the slower songs will touch you emotionally.

Perhaps that is what makes “What Lies Beneath” great, is that no matter what style of music she performs, Tarja always puts her heart and soul into every song. This is what makes the album more then just an album, but a small piece of Tarja's soul, allowing her to connect with people from all musical styles on a personal and emotional level. I recommend this album to anyone who enjoys a heart felt performance with variety. So give this album a try because I guarantee you, there will be no regrets. The only regrets there'll be is that one band that gave her up. A perfect 10 for this album. 

*Signature made by me*

Last edited by Jessica on Wed May 06, 2015 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tarja's 'What Lies Beneath'   Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:19 am

The best album so far from her solo career. I am sure this new one is going to put this one out of first but so far What Lies Beneath has it. Flawless.
Back to top Go down
AnneLumi

PostSubject: Re: Tarja's 'What Lies Beneath'   Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Nice review Smile

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/littlelies_wot
Simona Mihalca

PostSubject: Re: Tarja's 'What Lies Beneath'   Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 pm

yes. you are quite good at this
Back to top Go down
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Tarja's 'What Lies Beneath'   Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:53 am

What Lies Beneath

By Brian Kelman

With the hollow shell of the parody that is her old turf fading quickly in the rear view mirror, What Lies Beneath continues Tarja's journey in the exploration of her eclectic fusion of classical, rock and metal music that was begun on My Winter Storm. What Lies Beneath makes it perfectly clear that she is carving out and defining her own particular niche in the symphonic rock/metal scene. Tarja has pushed the boundaries out a little further forcing her countless imitators to play catch up once again. There is only one Tarja Turunen in this world and she proves it once again here.

What Lies Beneath is a concept album; it explores what lies beneath the mask each of us wears every day. Often that social mask hides our inner selves that only a few, if any, are allowed to see. What is revealed can only be inferred by what we do and what is revealed in the tiny recesses of our being can be quite dark and foreboding. In contrast to the focus of the subject matter in general, What Lies Beneath is a thoughtful, fun and stylish musical production to listen to in particular.

The basic multi-layered formula is familiar: Tarja’s powerful vocals (discussed below) with catchy verses and choruses, big symphonic backdrops, and the band’s guitars, bass and percussion having a much heavier, edgier more ‘metallic’ sound (as compared to those on My Winter Storm). As a result, the heavy guitar, bass riffs and crashing percussion are offset by symphonic and/or piano interludes, the cello, and a strong classical feel provided by Slovak National Symphony Orchestra and Choir. Furthermore, the strength of the song writing and overall performance creates a solid foundation for an exhilarating ride on Tarja’s vision of symphonic hard edged metal.

Tarja's instrument is front and centre as one would expect. Her vocals are more passionate, melodic, smooth, dynamic and emotive than ever. What Lies Beneath represents her most powerful singing performance to this point. In a world of countless imitators and talentless pretenders made in the studio, Tarja once again demonstrates that she is by far the best female vocalist in the Metal World (and in other genres for that matter). The disc is barely big enough to contain her. But I don’t see that as a bad thing. If one cannot allow themselves to be caressed and swayed by Tarja’s magical voice as well as be knocked onto our collective rear ends when she unleashes her full vocal power--running the spectrum between traditional rock/metal and sincere power ballad with disturbing ease--then one simply is not willing to get it.

What Lies Beneath is indicative of Tarja undergoing the process of shedding her musical and decision-making inhibitions and the constraints of getting her musical vision across to those around her. Tarja earned the opportunity to choose the people to play with, write with and to produce her own album. This increasing creative freedom has resulted in a mature, sincere, confident and enthusiastic album. Listeners of the album will be able to sense this creative awakening in the way one can observe the process of a blooming rose (preferably in time lapse photography). What Lies Beneath is a stage in that process that has continued unabated up to and including her most recent album, Colours In The Dark.

© 2013

5/5

5 Classic
4.5-4.9 Excellent
4.0-4.4 Very Good
3.5-3.9 Good
3.0-3.4 So So
2.0-2.9 Poor
1.0-1.9 Bad
0-0.9 Crap

Tarja's 'What Lies Beneath'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top