First topic message reminder :

I decided to make a topic for all you readers. Smile

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 pm

They'd have to publish it in two or three separate volumes. Only way.

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:33 pm

but is it worth it? I mean I will stay as far away as I can from those books
Back to top Go down
AnneLumi

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:36 pm

1483 pages is too much for me.

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/littlelies_wot
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:36 pm

I thought they were worth it at the time. I haven't read Shirer's book cover to cover for years, but I still refer to it to look up certain aspects of the time period...when I'm checking a fact I've read elsewhere or is mentioned in a documentary.

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:39 pm

I am scared in general of Russian literature
Back to top Go down
AnneLumi

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Do not be scare haha Smile

Back to top Go down
Simona Mihalca

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:21 pm

why? maybe they bite
Back to top Go down
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Books   Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:23 am

Reading George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (aka Game of Thrones on TV).

I read Book 1: A Game of Thrones two years ago. I'm now on Book 5. Here are the titles in order:
Book 2: A Clash of Kings
Book 3: A Storm of Swords
Book 4: A Feast For Crows
Book 5: A Dance With Dragons
Book 6: The Winds of Winter (not yet published)

I recommend the series. It is good entertainment in my estimation. The best thing about books in general over TV is that you can read what the character is thinking. For example, the character Tyrion is witty and sarcastic on screen, but it pales in comparison to what you get in the chapters that are written from his point of view.

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:25 pm

I think the Harry Potter books are my favorites. I also like the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I just started A Dance With Dragons.
Back to top Go down
AnneLumi

PostSubject: Re: Books   Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:44 am

Lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Veivos
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Books   Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:11 pm

I recommend both of Jim Butcher's series', The Dresen Files and Codex Alera. Codex Alera is his newer more traditional fantasy book, unlike Dresden Files which is set in modern times. In any case, Game of Thrones has nothing on Codex Alera. I find it to be highly overrated and written in a somewhat nonsensical way. But that's just my opinion. The main thing I don't like about it is the weakness of the plot and the heavy focus on dialogue vs. narrative. But I write myself, so I am a critic.

Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sat May 14, 2016 10:32 am

I finally decided to read Harry Potter. As a fantasy literature reader one could wonder why it has taken so long. I suppose I avoided it since I knew Rowling had started writing it for children... Like Tolkein did with "The Hobbit". The further I moved away from the ages of the main characters the less interested I thought I'd be. However, curiosity finally got the better of me. I read the first book. I found it entertaining and I'm now on the fifth book "The Order of The Phoenix" and will read up to the end of the series. I can't really say that I have a favourite character exactly. I can see some common characteristics that the three protagonists have that I did at their ages. So I guess the triumvirate of Ron (the younger brother gets the hand me downs syndrome), Hermione (the book worm), and Harry (picked on by a cousin and Malfoy in his case my older brother in mine) are most identifiable. I don't usually identify with the antagonists (although I do appreciate all the sinister and deadly traps they lay for the heroes) since they clash with my hero complex to always champion the underdogs...or save the world.

I have to add that I'm disappointed with how badly the concept of the 'Invisibility Cloak' was botched and conjuring things (like chairs) out of nothing could have been handled better.

Last edited by beekay on Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://novelhomedecor.com
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:29 pm

I decided to check out Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files". It is entertaining to a point but I'm bothered by the fact that it seems to me to be an amalgamation of some familiar characters of TV past with something new. During the first book in the series, I instantly thought of Jim Rockford (played by James Garner) of the 1974 - 1980 series 'The Rockford Files' (source of the book series title?). Especially, the PI aspect and the fact that Rockford was convicted of a murder he didn't commit but was dogged with the stigma despite a governor's pardon and Harry committed a murder in self defense but is dogged by the wizardry White Council over it still. Another familiar was the internal commentary akin to that of Magnum's (Tom Selleck) in Magnum P.I (1980-1988). Also, too, Magnum had a mob connection (Icepick) through his friend Rick and Dresden keeps running into mob boss Johnny Marcone. Add Humphrey Bogart's sardonic portrayal of Sam Spade in Dashiell Hammett's 'The Maltese Falcon' and the triumvirate of PI archetypes is complete. The final familiar (so far) is Karl Kolchak of the short lived (1974-75) original series of "The Night Stalker" which incidentally took place in Chicago, too. These similarities may be completely coincidental but the connections, intuitively, are there nevertheless. The new is that Harry Dresden is a real wizard (complete with incantations, potions, blasting rod etc.) for hire and as a consultant with the Chicago Police Department's Special Investigations Branch. I like the Dresden character since he embodies some similar personality traits with the aforementioned trio (who I liked enough to be a devoted follower of all three shows). Monster-wise I've already been introduced to a vampire (briefly in Book 1 but she seems destined to make Harry's life miserable in the future) and now a werewolf (or werewolves in Book 2); monsters (along with zombies) I consider to be totally passe and boring. Everyone has done them ad nauseam and they no longer hold any fascination to me like they did when I watched The Night Stalker at the age of 11. Hopefully Butcher will introduce some original villains (like the main villain in Book 1 was interesting) and monsters because Dresden's engaging personality and wry humour may not be enough to keep my interest for long. 

Addendum: 
The Faeries seem interesting given they aren't like Tinkerbell but are really badass....That plus the engaging Dresden character and the interesting system of magic can't keep my interest since vampires (now into a war with them) and werewolf allies are ever present. I've made it to Book 4 Chapter 4 and my interest in continuing with these banal monsters has just ground to a halt. If these monsters and creatures are your cup of tea then check out The Dresden Files....I think you will be in for an entertaining series. Me? I'm moving on. Might return to it....Might not. We'll see. 

Last edited by beekay on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://novelhomedecor.com
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:20 am

What I've moved on to is something in the Fantasy Literature genre with an original setting, creatures and races. Steven Erikson's second book of "The Kharkanas Trilogy" was published and released in the Spring. I'm re-reading Book 1, 'Forge of Darkness', to refresh my memory before tackling 'Fall of Light'.  

ABOUT THE TRILOGY

Now is the time to tell a tragic tale that sets the stage for all the tales yet to come....and all those already told.

It is the Age of Darkness and the realm called Kuruld Galain--home of the Tiste Andii and ruled over by Mother Dark from her citadel in Kharkanas--is in a perilous state. For the commoners' great hero, Vatha Urusander is being championed by his followers to take Mother Dark's hand in marriage but her Consort, Lord Draconus, stands in the way of such ambition. 

As the impending clash between these two rival powers sends fissures rippling across the land and rumours of civil war flare and take hold amongst the people, so an ancient power emerges from seas once thought to be long dead. None can fathom its true purpose nor comprehend its potential. And caught in the middle of this seemingly inevitable conflagration are the First Sons of Darkness--Anomander, Andarist, and Silchus Ruin of Paruke Hold--and they are about to reshape the world.....

Here begins Steven Erikson's epic tale of bitter family rivalries, of jealousies and betrayals, of wild magic and unfettered power....and of the forging of a sword.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Archaeologist and anthropologist Steven Erikson's debut fantasy, Gardens of the Moon, was shortlisted for the World Fantasy Award and introduced readers to his bestselling ten-book sequence 'The Malazan Book of the Fallen', which has been hailed as one of the finest works of fantasy of our time. To find out more visit:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Books   Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:20 am

I'm looking for a very dark novel... any recommendations?

PostSubject: Re: Books   Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I think the Harry Potter books are my favorites. I also like the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I just started A Dance With Dragons.
You should try The Sandman by Neil Gaiman too! study study
Back to top Go down

Books
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5