Reply to topic
Share | 

Nightwish "Imaginaerum"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jessica

PostSubject: Nightwish "Imaginaerum"   Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 am

Reviewed by Victoria Long

Nightwish is no stranger to change and they certainly know how to evolve to match the band's ever-growing sound. This is only strengthened by the release of the most recent and 7th studio album, Imaginaerum. Loyal, longtime, and short time fans alike have been eagerly awaiting Imaginaerum since the heart-pounding announcements and endless teasers Nightwish released months before its debut. Even before then fans wanted more after Dark Passion Play. Imaginaerum easily surpasses Dark Passion Play in every aspect and it sounds like the band's best and most heartfelt work so far.

The album first opens with Taikatalvi, a short Finnish introduction which has a soft, lullaby feel to it. Marco's voice is a bit harsh for it but he manages to pull off the song well, then the choir and orchestra take a dark turn before leading into the debut single, Storytime. Storytime is a song most fans have heard multiple times since the band released the music video and there were mixed reactions, but the song itself perfectly captures the main idea of the entire album, besides the epic ending of the title track Imaginaerum. After Storytime, it is clear that the album will only continue to become even better. But I don't want to go track by track. I want to point out the most different, varied songs on the album, which most notably is Slow, Love, Slow. I didn't know what to expect with this song and was very pleasantly surprised to find it was a slow jazz piece with rock elements thrown in.

The next song I wanted to focus on is Arabesque. It is one of the songs I feel fits least on the album. There is a great sound, and it has a fantastic build up, but as I was talking to my friends when it first came out, we realized the song has no place in the album and we all agreed. If it was put somewhere else then perhaps it would be great to listen to, but the transition from this great, epic song full of visuals and beauty is very awkward when it leads into Turn Loose the Mermaids. It doesn't make any sense with the rest of the album.

There are other songs on here that are not my favorites. The next being The Crow, The Owl, and The Dove. It is definitely the most poppy-sounding song on the album. This isn't a stab at Marco's songwriting – he is a wonderful composer and has swept us off our feet with The Islander once before, plus his own material in his band Tarot. But this song gets very boring after a few listens and I don't have the patience to sit and listen, I usually just skip it.

Last Ride of the Day is probably my most favorite track on the entire album. The composition makes me feel like I'm on a great roller coaster ride and there is a pure rush every time I listen to it. The following song however, Song of Myself which is the longest track on the album, loses itself after the halfway mark. The beginning is fantastic and makes it sound like it will be the most epic and lovable song on the album. It certainly has those Poet and the Pendulum-like elements in it that give the song a wonderful sound. But the main drawback with this track are the constant speeches starting from part 4. Love. The first listen threw me off, then I got used to it. Now its just tedious to listen to, if that is possible for a song. I simply cannot stand to listen to the speeches (although the lyrics Tuomas wrote are absolutely breath taking). But this feeling is quickly remedied when I hear the title and final track, Imaginaerum. It begins and I am immediately blown away by the incredible sound. It is one of my most favorite songs to listen to and it gives me chills everytime.

Overall, the album deserves a solid 4 out of 5. It has its very few faults that stick out only after several listens, but I feel this is Nightwish's best album yet and the crazy part is? They're only going to keep getting better.

*Signature made by me*

Back to top Go down
beekay
Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish "Imaginaerum"   Tue May 07, 2013 7:12 pm

I bought the album shortly after it was released and I listened to it about 10 times in March of 2012. I think I was willing myself to like it on the last 2 or 3 times. It never happened. I haven't listened to it since.

I have to admit to being apathetic concerning the present and future of Nightwish. It has little to do with the vocalist in the recent past (Anette), present (Floor) and future (?). I'm simply bored with the recycling of the same themes and imagery and putting them in a different package. I've had this experience before.

For example, I present Ronnie James Dio (may he R.I.P.). His song writing was primarily about fantasy imagery and themes in a medieval setting. After 3 Rainbow, 2 Black Sabbath and 1 Solo albums, (1975-1983) I never bought another one. Although I consider him one of the great rock/metal vocalists...how many different ways can someone say and present the same things and stay fresh and listenable? For me, not enough.

I've reached the same saturation point with Nightwish. Imaginaerum is really the same old same old in a new package....yawn. My only regret is that I had to buy them to find out. Oh well, live and learn. Smile

To put my 'money where my mouth is': a couple of months ago I took it (and the depressing DPP--it literally depressed me and since I had a problem with this emotion in the past--good riddance) to the used CD store and sold them both. After a couple of months, both are still waiting for a new home. Well traded actually. I walked out with Lacuna Coil "Karmacode" and Evanescence "The Open Door". I like these better. It was time to move on and close the door on one band and open it on a couple others (who may share the same fate in the future).

Back to top Go down
http://novelhomedecor.com

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish "Imaginaerum"   Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 am

Nightwish is nothing anymore. Dark Passion Play had a few good songs but what happened with this album? Tuomas will never grow up nor will he ever face reality. All this Mickey Mouse sounding like he is porking Goofy bullshit needs to go already and Tuomas needs to return to what he use to write. His songs have no meaning anymore and are quite boring.
Back to top Go down
AnneLumi

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish "Imaginaerum"   Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:07 pm

I never loved Anette's voice, but the music is great

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/littlelies_wot

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish "Imaginaerum"   Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:24 am

Anette's voice was not intended for metal the softer songs proves this as she does very well in them. In heavier songs though it sounds like she is straining
Back to top Go down
Simona Mihalca

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish "Imaginaerum"   Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I do agree that this was good for Anette. Especially Scaretale
Back to top Go down

Nightwish "Imaginaerum"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Winter Storm USA :: Webzine :: Reviews-
Reply to topic